Student Life

Athletics

Two teammates high five

The School for Children offers Upper School (Fifth – Eighth Grade) students the opportunity to participate in various sports throughout the school year. 

Options vary by season, including basketball, softball, volleyball, soccer, and running club. Bank Street welcomes all students who want to participate in sports, no matter their skill level or aptitude. This fosters an inclusive environment where students of all abilities can pursue their interests while enjoying healthy competition, setting personal goals, and challenging themselves in ways that feel comfortable for them. 

Our sports program supports physical and mental health, helping students build athleticism and enthusiasm for an active lifestyle as they develop essential life skills, such as sportsmanship, communication, and leadership. Moreover, joining a sport creates space for students to engage with their peers outside of regular school hours, contributing to lasting friendships and an overall sense of community.

Seasonal Programming

Students meet after school twice a week for practice and interscholastic games. 

Fall

• Volleyball | Co-Ed | Sixth – Eighth Grade
  • Soccer | Co-Ed | Junior Varsity: Fifth and Sixth Grade | Varsity: Seventh and Eighth Grad
  • Running Club | Co-Ed | Fifth – Eighth Grade

Winter

• Basketball | Boys & Girls | Junior Varsity: Fifth and Sixth Grade | Varsity: Seventh and Eighth Grade*

Spring

• Softball | Co-Ed | Fifth – Eighth Grade
  • Running Club | Co-Ed | Fifth – Eighth Grade

*While basketball league rules require that students be divided by gender, the School for Children accepts, acknowledges, and affirms the gender identity and expression asserted by each individual in the Bank Street community.

Student serving volleyball

Clinics

Through our After School Program, students in the Upper School can also participate in basketball and volleyball clinics after school and open gym sessions before school starts. These offerings provide time and space to practice skills and develop an understanding of fundamental concepts while building confidence. Clinics and open gym sessions are open to all students, regardless of experience or skill level.

Sport Scenes at Bank Street

Students who participate in Bank Street sports enjoy the opportunity to have fun with their friends and peers while working hard, building their self confidence, and creating memories that last a lifetime.
  • Two students smiling while holding volleyballs
  • Students playing volleyball
  • Bank Street athletes smiling
  • Hands stacked during a team huddle
Student Voices
We were undefeated in volleyball for the four years I was on the team. Being on a team at a small school gave me the opportunity to explore my role on that team and my leadership abilities. Those skills benefitted me a lot and put me ahead in high school and beyond.
Ruby Burns
SFC '19