Parents

Parents Association

Words from Rachael, Bank Street Parent and Co-President of the Parents Association, 2017-2019

Hello,

As a co-president of the Parents Association and a proud member of the Bank Street community, I welcome you to the Parents Association’s section of the website.

First, I’m going to be honest with you. When I became a Bank Street parent a few years ago, I never would have imagined I would become a co-president. There was maybe something about the term “Parents’ Association” that got quickly sent to the “not me; not for me” part of my brain. It might have gotten locked next to the “I don’t really bake” bucket that’s there somewhere. Or maybe it was the “I don’t have enough time in my life as it is” bucket. Or maybe it was the “I already have plenty of parent friends” bucket.

But this funny thing happened. I was asked to be a class parent during my son’s first year at the school, and I blocked out my schedule for the one-hour meeting a month… and much to my surprise, I found myself loving and looking forward to that hour a month. It wasn’t at all what I expected. The bulk of that time was spent diving right into deep special topics related to what my child was learning and how and why. I learned quickly that everything at Bank Street is designed for a purpose and is intentional, rooted in the Bank Street approach to respecting and developing children as thinkers and in being explicitly consistent with the institution’s set of humanistic and egalitarian values. This is because children pay attention to what we do, not just what we say.

Outside of being amazed by the expertise and thoughtfulness of the administration and faculty, I also found myself regularly wowed by the consistently stimulating dialogue in divisional meetings. We are all thinkers and learners here—administration and faculty and parents alike. And so, getting more and more involved at Bank Street went from the “I don’t have time for this” category to the “I don’t have time to not make time for this” category. Getting involved at Bank Street has developed me tremendously as a parent, and, honestly, even more broadly, as a person. It’s not just my kids getting an education here. I’m learning and growing constantly too.

— Rachael